Business Developer and Capture Manager
This position requires a thoughtful, meticulous and charismatic business development professional with a deep understanding of both public and private sector business development and capture management. The ideal candidate possesses specific expertise relating to research and development, intellectual property, marketing, promotion, and sales of non-profit and university research-based products. Serving both VT-ARC and Virginia Tech National Capitol Region NCR, the Business Developer and Capture Manager plays a key role in develops new funding opportunities and converts them to realized revenue streams. This individual is responsible for successfully managing the VT-ARC corporate pipeline and coordinating synergistically with the broader VT enterprise. Reporting to the VT-ARC Director of Program Operations and Development, this individual works closely with the VT-ARC Senior Management Team, the VT Research and Innovation Senior Leadership, faculty and technical staff to aggressively position and market corporate and VT capabilities.
Position Breakdown Percent
Leads and coordinates business development and capture activities. Responsible
for business development strategy, prospect development and engagement,
white papers, and proposal writing. Tracks and maintains the VT-ARC
opportunity funnel and pipeline. Coordinates with VT counterparts for
situational awareness. Successfully converts funding opportunities to new
revenue streams that fall within the VT-ARC and VT mission. Represents the
Corporation at business development engagements. 90
Other duties as assigned. 10
Required Education, Certifications, Skills, Capabilities:
· Advanced degree.
· 8+ years of experience in business development for research-focused organizations.
· Extensive understanding of federal government and private sector markets with an active network within each sector.
· Deep expertise in all aspects of the business capture process from strategy and development to proposal and award.
· Exceptional relationship management, interpersonal skills and emotional intelligence.
· Exceptional communication and negotiation skills.
· Compelling and engaging presenter and public speaker.
· Impeccable writing skills.
· Independent and critical thinker with strong project management skills.
· Computer literate with strong MS Office Suite skills.
· Proven record of capable business development and capture management with a history of successfully closing deals.
Desired Education, Certifications, Skills, Capabilities:
· Specific successful capture management experience with a non-profit or other university affiliated research organization.
· Specific experience in National Security sector a plus.
The duties of this position shall include, but are not necessarily limited to (and not listed in priority order):
· Coordinates business development and capture activities for both VT-ARC and VT NCR.
· Leads business development strategy, prospect development and engagement for the same.
· Writes white papers and proposals.
· Tracks the corporate opportunity funnel and pipeline.
· Successfully converts funding opportunities to new revenue streams that fall within the corporate mission.
· Represents the Corporation at business development engagements.
Primary Work Location: Arlington, Virginia.
Recommended Desk/Zone Location: TBD
Special Work Conditions: Periodic travel to Blacksburg and around the NCR region. Possible travel to other CONUS and OCONUS locations. Occasional work outside of corporate core business hours.
Security: A Top Secret Clearance (active) with SCI eligibility strongly preferred.