Does clean energy technologies excite you? Do you believe that energy storage is the key to a clean energy future? Would you like to be part of a fast-paced, entrepreneurial company backed by two world class players in the energy and electrical industries?
Siemens and AES have joined forces to form Fluence, a new energy storage technology and services company that combines the expertise, vision, and financial backing of the two parent companies. Fluence is a 50/50 joint venture between AES and Siemens and began combined operations on January 1, 2018. The company will build on the past success of AES and Siemens in the energy storage space and will continue developing new storage solutions, reaching customers in over 160 countries.
Fluence is the global leader in designing, developing, and deploying commercial energy storage solutions. Our energy storage solutions unlock value from existing power infrastructure, enable and integrate with renewable energy generation, and improve the flexibility and reliability of the power system.
With over 300 MW of energy storage in operation and construction and over 2,000 MW in development, Fluence has the largest fleet of battery-based storage assets in commercial operation today with significant expansion planned for the future in the US and abroad. To learn more, visit www.fluenceenergy.com.
Job Description :
This role will support Fluence product development by serving as the CTO group’s engineering lead on lithium ion battery subsystem hardware, performance, and testing. A general understanding and ability to learn about battery chemistry is necessary but the role will be focused on the electrical engineering aspects of battery systems. Responsibilities include:
· Acquire in-depth knowledge of the battery subsystem components (typically battery modules and BMS) used in Fluence’s current and future energy storage products; maintain detailed library of battery equipment technical characteristics
· Maintain and update Fluence technical specifications used in supply contracts for procurement of battery subsystem equipment from major international battery suppliers
· Perform lab testing of new battery equipment planned for use, such as protection tests, BMS communication testing, integration testing
with Fluence control software, access to necessary monitoring data points, mechanical fit and ease of installation, and other evaluations
· Collaborate with system engineering team to determine how battery system technical characteristics should influence overall energy storage system design.
· Collect data from battery suppliers on projected battery degradation for various usage patterns; operate degradation models provided by battery suppliers.
· Collect data from battery suppliers on thermal behavior of battery modules during operation and collaborate with system enclosure design team to adapt cooling system sizing for major application types.
· Maintain close technical contact with battery system suppliers to stay up to date on future product road maps and encourage features that are preferred for incorporation into future Fluence products
The preferred candidate will have a background in electrical or systems engineering with a minimum of an undergraduate degree and 3-10 years of experience. Salary is commensurate with experience. Experience in the energy storage or backup power space is preferred.
Experience with designing, specifying, or testing battery equipment, battery-based backup power systems, or DC/DC or DC/AC power conversion equipment
Strong proficiency with electrical circuit calculations
Hands-on experience with power systems equipment either in a lab environment or through field deployment for commercial projects
Takes individual initiative and works with minimal supervision while being a collaborative team player.
Possesses an entrepreneurial drive for getting things done and a “whatever it takes” attitude.
Has excellent English verbal and writing skills, additional languages or international work experience is a plus
Travel: 20-30%, willingness and ability to travel is required; travel to Los Angeles, CA expected once every 4-6 weeks, with some international travel
Experience with writing technical specifications for equipment procurement
Familiarity with BMS communication protocols, i.e. ModbusTCP, CANbus
Familiarity with the operating principles of battery management systems (BMS), such as cell balancing and protection functions
Familiarity with energy storage product safety standards such as UL1973, UL9540, or UL1741
Familiarity with fire protection standards involving lithium ion batteries is not expected but is a plus
Fluence Energy IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER and fully subscribes to the principles of Equal Employment Opportunity, to ensure that all applicants and employees are considered for hire, promotion, and job status without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, marital or familial status