The Director of Electrical Engineering will oversee the planning, coordination, and execution of all activities within the Electrical Engineering Department.. This pivotal role requires a strategic leader who is adept at fostering innovation and excellence in engineering practices, ensuring that our advanced systems maintain the highest standards of performance and reliability. The Director of Electrical Engineering will act as a liaison both internally and externally for Electrical Engineering by interacting with Senior Management, Customers, Project Managers, and other personnel at our R&D facility. In addition to these leadership responsibilities the candidate will serve a significant role in design, integration and test of electrical circuits and/or management of programs.
Essential Job Duties:
- Lead a department of >25 electrical engineers and technicians specializing in the design, analysis, and testing of advanced electronic systems.
- Spearhead the development of state-of-the-art processes and tools to uphold reputation as a provider of premier systems for demanding aerospace and military applications.
- Lead the design, integration and test of electrical circuits and/or manage programs with a heavy emphasis of electrical engineering.
- Delegate and manage electrical engineering resources across approximately 30 active programs, ensuring optimal alignment with project demands and timelines.
- Drive the recruitment, interviewing, and onboarding of top-tier electrical engineering talent.
- Mentor and cultivate the professional growth of department personnel, including the administration of training programs.
- Manage personnel work plans, conduct performance evaluations, and deliver feedback for continuous improvement.
- Guarantee the technical excellence and quality compliance of all Electrical Engineering deliverables.
- Lead and contribute to critical meetings and design reviews within the Electrical Engineering team.
- Develop and enforce design standards and procedures to optimize department workflow.
- Oversee the creation of program documentation, ensuring technical accuracy and alignment with system specifications.
- Contribute to the drafting and refinement of technical proposals.
Expertise and experience required:
- Deep knowledge of industry standards and practices for the engineering of military-grade and space-grade electronic systems.
- Demonstrated leadership skills through experience leading projects and/or teams.
- Ability to communicate effectively and tactfully with EE personnel, office staff, customers, consultants, and vendors.
- Demonstrated ability to promote and establish teamwork and individual leadership within the EE discipline.
- Ability to successfully and continuously lead a team of engineering professionals to meet and exceed project goals.
- Thorough working knowledge of Microsoft Office Applications and EE design software.
- Effective time management and organizational skills; ability to become involved in a number of projects and remain up to date on the various developmental stages.
- Advanced analytical and problem-solving skills.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering or a related field; Master’s degree preferred.
- A minimum of 10 years’ experience in electrical engineering with at least 5 years in a leadership role overseeing complex projects or teams.