While working as a Fiber Laser Scientist at Fibertek, you will lead the design and development, integration, and test of advanced fiber laser systems typically with performance requirements beyond the state-of-the-art. Fibertek is a leader in the design, development, and delivery of advanced laser systems and technologies for military and aerospace applications.
We are looking for and experienced and motivated fiber laser scientist or engineer to join a multi-disciplinary team and lead the design and demonstration of advanced laser systems. Example focus missions include space-based laser communications, lidar for tactical defense applications, earth-sensing lidar, and navigational lidars for planetary and docking missions. Fibertek’s engineering teams simultaneously tackle laser optical performance beyond state-of-the-art while engineering systems for performance on challenging platforms with limited size, mass, and power and over stressing vibration, thermal, and/or radiation conditions. Delivered systems make a national impact to customers at NASA and throughout the defense community. The work-load will at times include multiple concurrent projects with a mix of short duration research programs and longer duration technology maturation programs resulting in a work culture that is team-oriented, intellectually stimulating, and consistently rewarding.
- Lead the engineering development of unique laser designs through modeling fiber laser performance, design analysis, component specification, and hardware assembly, integration, and test
- Coordinate and support the build, alignment, and performance characterization of fiber lasers including multi-stage amplifiers, phase & amplitude modulation implementation, spectral and coherent beam combining
- Coordinate and perform formal acceptance and qualification testing
- Participate in customer interactions including formal technical reviews
Required Skills and Experience
To exceed in this Fiber Laser Scientist role, you’ll need the below expertise and experience:
- MS or PhD in Physics or Optical Engineering w/ a minimum of 5 years of direct hands-on fiber laser experience including designing, building, characterizing laser systems
- Knowledge of the laser theory and industry best practices associated with fiber laser systems including continuous wave lasers, pulsed, high peak power fiber, advanced fiber architectures, single-frequency injection locked lasers, low frequency noise lasers, electrical and thermal sub-systems.
- Expertise in laser physics of fiber lasers and amplifiers, including ytterbium, erbium, and/or thulium gain materials.
- Familiarity with relevant nonlinear processes and impacts to laser performance. Examples include Stimulated Brillouin Scattering, Four-Wave Mixing, Stimulated Raman Scattering, and Transverse Modulational Instability.
- Foundational understanding of fiber-optic components including types of fibers, pump lasers, couplers, modulators, isolators, mode-field adapters, polarization components, and others.
- Knowledge of tools for modeling fiber laser performance such as Matlab, RP Power Fiber or equivalent software
- Ability to design and execute experiments validating laser system performance and correlate the results with the expected performance
- Strong communication and documentation skills for efficient multidisciplinary communication
- US citizenship required
Please apply today for this full-time Herndon-based Fiber Laser Scientist role and join the leader in the development of state-of-the-art laser and electro-optic solutions.
Why Fibertek, Inc?
At FIBERTEK, Inc. we pride ourselves in our innovation and customer success focused culture enabled by a creative and relaxed work environment with minimal bureaucracy. Fibertek fosters a progressive learning environment that values inspiration, promotes professional challenge and encourages personal growth. We offer a competitive and incentivized compensation package with excellent benefits.
Fibertek, Inc. is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. Applicants are considered regardless of race, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age or any other protected characteristic in accordance with applicable law. If you need assistance or an accommodation for any part of the application process, please contact us by phone at 571-299-4487 or via email at email@example.com.