Would you enjoy working with a collaborative team of engineers to design and build satellite based optical communications laser terminals including optical inter-satellite links (OISL) and direct to earth links? Fibertek is looking for an optical communication engineer to join our Herndon, VA team to help pave the way for tomorrow’s advancement in space exploration. You will embrace a team atmosphere while being empowered to make decisions in your area of expertise.
As an optical communications engineer, you will be responsible for designing and building optical space terminals. Work includes optical space lasercom systems design, leading hand-on building of space flight optical flight terminals, and leading the performance and environmental verification testing for space. Design and work with some of the smartest minds in engineering actively involved in current high-profile NASA and DOD missions. You will use your direct hands-on experience to support the design, fabrication, and qualification of laser communication terminals, optical modems, and optical pointing and tracking systems. Activities include coordinating a multidisciplinary team of engineers to the successful completion of next generation laser communication terminals and optical modems while supporting multiple concurrent projects with a mix of short-duration flight programs and long-duration technology maturation programs.
Required Skills and Experience
To succeed as a senior optical communications engineer, you will need the following expertise and experience:
- MS or PhD. in Electrical Engineering, Physics, or other related engineering specialties with a minimum of 7 years direct hands-on designing, building, and characterizing optical systems.
- Knowledge of telecommunications standards and industry best practices associated
- Ability to design and execute experiments validating communications system performance and correlate the results with the expected performance.
- Ability to lead space flight hardware builds.
- Experience with modeling and simulation of optical systems using industry standard tools such as MATLAB, MATHCAD, ZEMAX or equivalent software tools
- Developing and setting requirements and design tolerances
- Experience with high-speed electrical circuits and radio frequency systems.
- Strong communication and documentation skills for efficient multidisciplinary coordination
- Ability to develop innovative solutions to complex challenges demonstrating ingenuity and creativity
Please apply today for this Herndon-based optical communications engineer role.
APPLICANTS MUST HOLD US CITIZENSHIP.
- Expertise in free space optical communications systems, link budgets, waveforms, standards.
- Understanding of opto-mechanical, thermo-optic tolerance and stability.
- Experience in position navigation and tracking technologies.
- Pointing and tracking expertise.
- Strong background in signal processing
- Strong background in sensors and electronics designs
- Aerospace industry experience.
Salary and Benefits
Paid time off such as PTO, Health insurance, Life insurance, Dental insurance, Vision insurance, Retirement benefits or accounts, Healthcare spending or reimbursement accounts, such as FSAs, Long term disability insurance, Short term disability insurance, Tuition assistance, Wellness programs, Employee recognition programs, Relocation assistance, Commuting/travel assistance, Telecommuting options, Workplace perks such as recreation activities, food and coffee, and flexible work schedules!
7 to 20+ years
Why Fibertek, Inc?
At FIBERTEK, Inc. we pride ourselves in our innovation and customer success focused culture enabled by a creative and relaxed work environment with minimal bureaucracy. Fibertek fosters a progressive learning environment that values inspiration, promotes professional challenge and encourages personal growth. We offer a competitive and incentivized compensation package with excellent benefits.
Fibertek, Inc. is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. Applicants are considered regardless of race, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age or any other protected characteristic in accordance with applicable law.