Wireless/RF Communications Test Engineer reports to the Wireless Communications Program Manager and will apply communications systems engineering and testing expertise to support spectrum sharing analysis. Demonstrates basic knowledge and understanding of contemporary commercial and/or government wireless communications technology. Applies communications systems knowledge and RF testing expertise to plan, execute, and report on RF tests.
Specific responsibilities include, but may not be limited to:
The duties of this position shall include, but are not necessarily limited to (and not listed in priority order):
- Work with a group of engineers conducting RF performance and operation validation of cellular radios/software defined radios (SDR). It is desired that a Test Execution Engineer would have knowledge of using SDR to conduct RF testing.
- Work with commercial and government employees in planning and executing RF tests.
- Plan and execute RF tests, using SDR and/or hardware in the loop (HWIL), determining the effects on performance.
- Investigate and debug performance and operational issues, verifying fixes and improvements.
- Aid in development of test plans and procedures, collection of test data, and evaluation of tests.
- Prepare periodic technical reports, documents, plans, and briefings.
- Present analyses, engineering, and designs to team members.
- Involvement in cross-functional engineering discussions, looking at ways to improve testing and increase the likelihood of success in future designs.
- Other duties may be assigned.
- Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering, Systems Engineering, Computer Science or related technical discipline.
- Knowledge of commercial wireless communications technology standards (e.g., 3GPP standards for 4G/LTE, CDMA2000, GPRS, EDGE, etc.).
- Technical understanding or experience with one or more of the following radio technologies, WiFi, Bluetooth, and other RF communications technologies.
- Ability to utilize sophisticated test hardware for experimental purposes, experience with RF test hardware, such as oscilloscopes, spectrum analyzers, etc. Competence with SW based analytical applications required.
- Proven analytic skills and the ability to establish objectives, formulate plans and processes, and implement solutions.
- Strong interpersonal and teambuilding skills.
- Strong verbal and written communications skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work as a team contributor with a mission focus and emphasis on service, integrity, and excellence.
- Must be a U.S. citizen and hold or be able to obtain and maintain a Secret U.S. Government Security Clearance.
Desired Education, Certifications, Skills, Capabilities:
- Master of Science in Electrical Engineering, Systems Engineering, Computer Science or related technical discipline.
- Knowledge of military and other wireless communications technology standards (e.g., DoD/NATO Tactical Radio standards, Land Mobile Radio standards, etc.).
- Working knowledge of commercial and government wireless/RF communication testbeds.
- Working knowledge of Software Defined Radios (SDR) for experimental purposes.
- Working knowledge of using hardware in the loop (HWIL) equipment to conduct RF testing.
- Experience with test automation and scripting.